TOT Commemorative Flag for Recumbent or Electric Bicycle
TOT Commemorative Flag for Recumbent or Electric Bicycle
Proudly fly a bit of TOT wherever you go with this fun conversation starter! Bright yellow, with photos of people and places from TOT. Actual photos means you'll be able to recognize people and places from the Trail of the Coeur D 'Alenes and the Route of the Hiawatha. What fun! TOT is a special event, and the Trail of the Coeur D 'Alenes is a special place. In the spirit of TOT, 10% of the purchase price of these commemorative flags is donated to a fund dedicated to Trail maintenance and improvements so those that come after us will be able to enjoy the trail as much as we have. As with our other flags, they are digitally printed with a special colorfast, UV stable printing process. Your TOT flag will look good and bring you happy memories for years and years. Hi Vis tassel and 2 piece fiberglass pole included. Left and right sides of the flag are different. Reflective spine with reflective accents that are part of the graphics.
1. There are actual photos on the flag? How do you do that?
Yes, actual photos from TOT. You'll be able to recognize the people and the places. There's even Wayne's classic moose photo. We digitally print all our flags using a state of the art dye sublimation process. The process digitally prints permanent, UV stable inks into the flag fabric. Photos are no problem! How fun is that?
2. How does the 10% donation for Trail maintenance and improvements work?
Idaho State Parks manages the Trail of the Coeur D 'Alenes. We talked to the park superintendent and set up to donate to a fund they have that takes donations and adds them to the Maintenance and Improvements Fund. All donations go towards train maintenance and improvements. And, they go on top of what the state normally budgets, so your donation actually makes a difference.
3. I've heard people rave about your flags. What makes them so special?
Lots of things, but foremost the style: these are not stodgy 'safety flags', they are high performance visibility aids that look as good as they work. Everything, from the aero shape, to the colors, to the top of the line reflective features, to the serious poles, these are not kids toys. They are grown up safety accessories with flair. They are made to last for years in all conditions, not to last one season and be replaced. Unlike most flags, they are designed to work at the speeds adults ride, and they wave in a deliberately controlled way instead of flapping wildly. They are designed and made to be used every day and perform for years.
4. I've had other flags that flapped a lot and made a lot of noise. Do these do that?
No. The stiffer poles, special flag shape, and stronger flag material are specifically made to wave in a predictable, steady way, even at high speeds.
5. Are these OK to be out in the sun a lot?
Yes. They are made of outdoor polyester, not thin nylon. Nylon is strong, but it is not colorfast and not very UV resistant. Sails are made from Dacron polyester because it's very strong and lasts for years in the sun. Purple Sky flags are made of a similar material.
6. I've always thought it would be a great idea to attach a light to a flag. Is there a way to do that?
Yes, it's one of the first things we did. We have a very simple optional light mount. It's a 1 inch (25.4mm) neoprene rubber collar that snaps over the flagpole and lets you attach most any bicycle rear light. Most bike rear lights are designed to go on the seatpost of an upright bike, so they clamp right on. We also offer the very bright, USB rechargeable Cateye RapidX lights that mount right to the flagpole.
7. I'm worried about the flag flying off when I go fast. Will that happen?
Highly unlikely. We have taken a number of measures to keep things together at high speeds. The poles are designed to be stiff and not bend back as much. The flag is clipped to the pole and prevented from sliding off by a top cap. Should the clip fail for any reason, the top cap is designed to catch on the bottom of the flag. The top and bottom pole sections are held together with a ferrule that includes a special gripping collar. It takes a very deliberate twisting and releasing action to separate the poles.
8. Does it come with the Hi Vis tassel?
Yes, it comes with a Hi Vis tassel. You can add a second one if you wish, there are two grommets, one at the top of the flag and one at the bottom.
- These flags maintain their cool even at high speeds. The unique shape is both attention getting and tuned for just the right amount of flap, even at high speeds. No noisy flappity flap, just a gentle, attention getting back and forth. An additional hi-vis tassel can be attached at the bottom of the flag.
- Poles are black fiberglass for strength and to blend in with your other black accessories. Poles are a combined 70 inches (1.8m)long and separate in the middle for transport. Special silicone rubber grip keeps tubes from separating until you tell them to. Poles are stiff enough a light can be attached, we have an optional mount for that. The bottom pole is available in either 6mm or 1/4 inch end diameter to fit any flag mount (6mm is just slightly smaller than 1/4 inch, if in doubt, order 6mm).
- Every flag comes with a Hi Vis tassel. You can add a second one if you wish, there are two grommets, one at the top of the flag and one at the bottom.
- Made from highly weather and UV resistant outdoor polyester for long life and excellent resistance to fading. Poles are solid fiberglass, with two 36in (0.9m) long sections. Sections are joined by a special carbon fiber ferrule with a silicone rubber grip collar to keep things together until you want them apart. Poles are 1/4in diameter, with an option for a 1.75in (4.5cm) 6mm section on the bottom end of the lower pole for compatibility with 6mm flag mounts. Flag is shaped for visual contrast, aerodynamics, and controlled flapping, even at high speeds. 3M reflectives used are rated for high effectiveness even when wet.
- The upper tip of the lower pole is red to indicate the end that is inserted into the upper pole. Slide the tapered red tip through the silicone grip collar until it is firmly seated in the ferrule on the lower end of the upper pole. Insert the bottom end of the lower pole into your flag mount. You can typically put your flag into the tube that runs down the side of your seat. Some trikes, such as ICE trikes, have a hole in the plastic top cap for that purpose. Others, like Terratrikes, may require you to drill a slightly larger than 1/4 inch (about 6.5mm) hole in the top cap. Other trikes, such as Catrikes, come with a 6mm flag mount back on the rear dropout. The rear racks on HPVT trikes have flag mounts in them.
- The silicone gripper collar is designed to keep your poles from separating under all but the most extreme conditions. To separate the poles, pinch the collar around the lower pole until it wrinkles a little bit. This will break the suction and allow you to gently twist the lower pole out. If you try to just yank the pole out, the collar will tighten and grip even more. Pushing the collar up with a fingernail will also relax the collar and cause it to release it's grip on the pole.
- There is a plastic clip near the top of the flag. Inside the flag, on the end of the pole, there is a cap that cushions the end of the pole. The cap can't get past the clip. If you want to remove the flag from the pole for any reason, gently pry the clip off and slide the flag off the pole. The cap is designed to catch on the bottom of the flag as a backup. You will need to wriggle and twist to get the cap out the bottom of the flag.
- If it gets dirty, wipe your flag down with a cloth or old toothbrush dampened with soap and water. The colors are colorfast and UV resistant and cannot be scrubbed off.
- You can install the Hi Vis tassel using the grommets at the top and bottom of the flag. If you are running one tassel, we recommend putting it at the top of the flag. One tassel comes standard with every flag.
- Fits on any bike or trike that's proud to declare they've done TOT and are doing their part to make it better.